Moroccan Squash Salad
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) buttercup or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 cup almond slivers, toasted
1. Cook squash in a large pot of boiling salted water 5 minutes or just until knife tender; add raisins during the last minute of cooking. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Note: I roasted the butternut squash which was tossed with a bit olive oil for about 30 minutes at 400oF (until lightly browned). Then I just soaked the raisins in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Then I let the squash cool before continuing.
2. Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne in large serving bowl. Add squash, raisins, cilantro and almonds. Toss lightly to coat. Serve at room temperature. Serves 8.
Nutrition per serving:
250 Calories, 10 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.