- FOR CAKE
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 2/3 cup sifted cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for pan
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large whole eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled completely
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- FOR FILLING
- 1 1/4 cups best-quality fruit jam, such as raspberry, strawberry, or blackberry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- FOR FINISHING
- Confectioners' sugar
1. Prepare oven and baking sheet: Heat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in bottom half. Coat a 12 1/2-by-17 1/2-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. Dust with flour and tap out excess.
2. Combine dry ingredients: Whisk together flour and salt in a bowl.
3. Combine eggs and sugar: Bring about 2 inches of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over (not in) simmering water, whisk eggs, yolks, and granulated sugar until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch. Attach bowl to mixer fitted with whisk attachment; beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. Raise speed to high; beat until mixture is pale and thick, about 4 minutes more.
4. Add dry ingredients: Sift flour mixture over egg mixture; using a large rubber spatula, carefully fold. When almost incorporated, pour melted butter down side of bowl; gently fold to combine.
5. Bake: Using an offset spatula, spread batter evenly into prepared sheet. Bake cake until golden brown and springy to the touch, 6 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, dust a clean kitchen towel with confectioners' sugar. Run a knife around sides of cake. Invert onto prepared towel, and remove parchment.
6. Roll into log and cool: While the sheet cake is still warm, gently roll starting from one short side, into a log, incorporating the kitchen towel. Let the cake cool completely, rolled. (This will give the cake a "shape memory", so it will be easier to roll again with filling.)
7. Fill cake and reroll: Unroll cake. Spread with jam, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides. In a mixing bowl with a whisk or electric mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form; spread evenly over jam with an offset spatula. Roll cake to enclose filling (without towel), starting with a short end. Wrap the towel around rolled cake, securing with clips or clothespins to help retain the shape.
8. Chill and serve: Refrigerate cake 30 minutes (or up to 3 hours). Dust with confectioners' sugar, cut into slices with a serrated knife, and serve.