Mushroom Spinach Quiche
A cheesy quiche with homemade flaky crust filled with sautéed onion, mushrooms, spinach, and flavored with nutmeg. Cream cheese is baked into the crust.
- 7 ounces all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 7 ounces cream cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 5 ounces milk
- 2 eggs
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from carina-forum.com
Preheat oven to 375˚F.
In a medium bowl combine the flours, baking soda, salt, sugar and pepper. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs (better to pulse in a food processor). Add the cream cheese and milk to bring mixture together.
Roll or press crust into quiche dish or pie plate. Place in freezer.
In a medium skillet melt butter. Stirring occasionally, sauté onion until translucent, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Add spinach, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring a couple of times, for another 2 minutes. Take off from the heat and set aside.
Take out the quiche crust from the freezer.
In a small bowl whisk together milk and eggs. Set aside.
Sprinkle half the grated cheese on the bottom of the crust. Spread filling mixture over the cheese and then top with remaining cheese.
Pour the egg mixture over the filling.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Cool about 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Maple-Miso Dijon Salmon 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Grilled Lobster Tails with... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Layer Cake 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Asparagus Bacon Bundles 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Harissa Beef Brisket 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken Enchiladas for Two 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Spinach Phyllo Pie 4.6/5 (8 Votes)