Crockpot Ham and Beans
- 1 lb dried great northern beans (mixed if desired)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 lb smoked ham or 1 lb ham hock
- 6 cups water or 6 cups broth
Adapted from food.com
1 Sort beans and soak in enough water to cover overnight.
2 Or you may sort them and place in a saucepan with 2-inches of water to cover.
3 Bring them to a boil, boil for 3 minutes, then cover and remove from heat.
4 Allow to sit for one hour after boiling (don't lift the lid).
5 Whichever method you use, rinse and drain the beans before placing them in the crock pot.
6 Put the rinsed beans, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, parsley, cloves, ham (chopped into large chunks) or ham hocks into the crock pot along with 6 cups water or broth.
7 Cover crock, and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender and creamy.
8 Skim any excess fat, if necessary, before serving.