Slightly adapted from Ad Hoc at Home
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grapefruit-tangerine syrup:
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Tangerine Icing:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons tangerine juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk the sugar and eggs on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
Reduce the speed to medium-low, and whisk in the milk, oil, grapefruit zest and the vanilla. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just to incorporate, and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Run an oiled pairing knife down the center of the batter so a nice crease forms during baking. Place the pan on a small baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, turning the pan 180 degrees half way through to ensure even baking. The cake is done with a skewer inserted in the center of the cake come out clean, with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
While the cake is baking, make the syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the grapefruit and tangerine juices with the sugar, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for just a minute, until all the sugar has dissolved, and turn off the heat.
Carefully invert the cake onto a cooling rack, turn it right side up, and allow it cool completely.
To prepare the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar and tangerine juice in a bowl until smooth. Add a little more sugar if the consistency is too thin. Drizzle over the cake, letting it run over the sides. Slice and serve.
Store cake at room temperature, lightly covered with plastic wrap, for up to two days.
You'll also love
- Pasta Carbonara with Sausage,... 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Whipped Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting 4.4/5 (53 Votes)
- Meaty Eggplant Lasagna 4.3/5 (61 Votes)
- Ultimate Coconut Cake - Martha... 4.6/5 (37 Votes)
- Blueberry Lime Margaritas 4.5/5 (47 Votes)
- Prosciutto and Grape Grilled Cheese 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Grape Jelly Meatballs 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Fruit Ambrosia 4.6/5 (22 Votes)