Deluxe Corn Bread Stuffing
- 6 cups crumbled corn bread
- 2 cups white bread cubes, toasted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large tart apples, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
In a large bowl, combine the bread, pecans and seasonings; set aside. Crumble sausage into a large skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink; remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels.
Add butter to drippings; saute the apples, celery and onion until tender. Add to bread mixture. Stir in sausage and enough broth to moisten.
Spoon into a greased 3-qt. baking dish; cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes. Or use to stuff a turkey; bake according to recipe.
Yield: 10-12 servings (about 11 cups).