Grilled Veal Chops with Mediterranean Herb Paste
Be sure to trim the veal chops of excess fat to prevent flare-ups. Keep a squirt bottle on hand filled with water to spray on flare-ups that may still occur. Veal chops need to be cooked over a two-level fire to ensure a nicely caramelized crust and a center perfectly cooked to medium. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure that the chops don’t get overcooked. If you don’t have all the herbs, feel free to add additional amounts of what you do have to compensate.
- 4 bone-in rib veal chops, about 1 1/4 inches thick, excess fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
1. Preheat grill with all burners turned to high and lid down until very hot, about 15 minutes. Use grill brush to scrape cooking grate clean. Leave one burner on high and turn other burner(s) down to medium.
2. Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix oil, garlic, and herbs together in small bowl; rub herb paste over chops.