Bolognese with Riccarelle Pasta
Award-winning bolognese with ricciarelle pasta is worth all the effort you put into making it! Makes plenty, so freeze & use later! Choose your fave pasta!
- STEP 1:
- 2/3 cup drained DOLE Tropical Fruit (reserve juice)
- 1 stalk celery, cut into several big pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium size shallot, peeled
- 1/4 cup DOLE drained tropical fruit juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- STEP 2:
- 1/2 pound 80/20 ground beef (can substitute bison)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound Italian Mild ground sausage
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 3/4 cup pepperoni, finely chopped
- 1 (4.5 ounces) tube concentrated tomato paste
- 1/4 cup basil pesto, prepared
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (good Italian brand)
- 1 large jar Williams & Sonoma Mourad’s Moroccan Spiced Tomato & Herb Braising Sauce, can substitute a good marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup basil
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- STEP 3:
- 2 cup arugula, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh flat Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pasta of your choice
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 120mins
Adapted from allyskitchen.com
Put all of these ingredients EXCEPT THE OLIVE OIL in a food processor and make a thick sauce. Pulse about 90 seconds.
Put the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat. Add the sauce and cook about 5 minutes. Reduce heat after a couple of minutes.
Rinds (heels) of parm reggiano (to go in while sauce is simmering)~you can ask to buy the rinds/heels from the cheese monger, if you can’t find then increase the next ingredient by 1/2 cup 1 cup freshly grated parmesan reggiano cheese (plus more for garnish plating)
Add the meats (breaking into pieces with our hands) into the pot. Increase heat to medium high and brown the meats with the step 1 ingredients working all together. (Takes about 5-7 minutes)
Add the tomato paste and worked into the meat. Let this sizzle and cook about 10 minutes. Add the wine and blend cooking another 10 minutes letting the wine bubble and alcohol burn off.
Add the paprika, salt, pepper and blend, then add the crushed tomatoes, and W&S braising sauces and blend. Bring to bubbly boil and cook about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add fresh herbs and dried oregano and blend.
Cook about 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add grated cheese, blend and simmer another 20-30 minutes.
Rough cut chop the arugula, basil leaves and parsley. Toss in EVOO, lemon juice and a touch of sea salt.
Display Dish: Use a white shallow bowl with a wide rim and small opening. Add a few tablespoons of sauce and swish around in the serving plate Add a small ‘nest’ of the arugula/basil mixture. Put in about 1/3 cup of sauce. (Try not to hide the greens) Take a long noodle and twirl creating a ‘volcano’ like ‘mound’ with an opening. If necessary secure with a toothpick so the twirl does not collapse. Put a few tablespoons of sauce into the cavity opening and on top.
Garnish with grated parmesan reggiano shavings and chiffonade sliced basil and chopped parsley.
Judges’ Servings: Use a white small oval bowl (World Market or Pier One) or small square appetizer dish w/sides (World Market). Put a few tablespoons of sauce in the bottom. Twirl a long noodle. Top with some sauce, basil and parsley. (Note: Use a toothpick to secure mound and remove right before presenting to judges).
You'll also love
- Asparagus Leek and Red Potato Soup 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Pan Seared Cod with Arugula... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Israeli Beef Roast 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Broccoli Rabe with Beans and... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Spicy Thai Glass Noodle Salad 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Tortellini al Forno, Olive Garden... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Macaroni & Cheese 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Tagliatelle Short-rib Bolognese 3.8/5 (17 Votes)