Slow-cooker Cajun Stew
This Cajun stew is filled with good, hearty stuff: andouille sausage, onion and garlic, bell peppers, tomatoes, shrimp, and okra, and it doesn't take all day!
- 3/4 pound andouille or kielbasa, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen cut okra (from an 8-ounce package), thawed
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, place sausage, onion, garlic, celery, and bell pepper. Sprinkle with flour and toss to coat. Add tomatoes and their liquid, 1/2 cup water, and cayenne; season with salt. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 3 1/2 hours on high (or 7 hours on low).
Add shrimp and okra, cover, and cook until shrimp are opaque throughout, 30 minutes (or 1 hour on low).