Golden Mashed Potatoes with Leeks and Sour Cream (Williams and Sonoma)
- 4 lbs large Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and preferably organic, scrubbed
- 8 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 4 leeks, white and light green portions finely chopped and rinsed well
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, heated to a simmer
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Cut the potatoes into large, uniform chunks. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover partially and cook the potatoes, stirring once or twice, until they are very tender, about 40 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
Return the potatoes to the saucepan and place the pan over low heat. Transfer the potatoes in batches to a ricer and pass throughly. Stir in the leeks and their buttery juices. Add the sour cream and stir well. Add the hot milk, the 1/2 tsp. salt and the 1 tsp. pepper and stir vigorously until light and fluffy.
Remove the pan from the heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Leek and Garlic Mashed Potatoes 4.5/5 (47 Votes)
- Hearty Leek and Potato Soup 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Brie-Leek Tartlets 5/5 (4 Votes)