Sliced Steak Club Sub with Horseradish & Herb Sauce
Sub sandwiches made with sliced steak, bacon, watercress, herbs, tomato, onion, all in a baguette slathered with horseradish sauce.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives and dill, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly grated or prepared horseradish (preferably Gold’s)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds flank or flatiron steaks, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- EVOO for drizzling
- Watercress or upland cress
- Sliced tomato
- Thinly sliced red onion
- 4 pieces baguette, 8- to 10-inches each, split lengthwise
Adapted from rachaelrayshow.com
Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until crisp, 15-18 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, herbs, horseradish and garlic. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Mix in Tabasco sauce to taste.
Heat an outdoor grill or cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Season the steak with Worcestershire, salt and pepper; drizzle with EVOO. Cook to desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 10 minutes then thinly slice against the grain.
Divide the baguette bottoms among plates. Top with some sliced steak, bacon, watercress, tomato and onion. Finish subs with the baguette tops slathered with the horseradish sauce.