- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1-1/4 pounds bulk Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the sausage, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 3 tablespoons parsley, basil, fennel seed, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta, and remaining parsley and salt.
Drain noodles. Spread 2 cups meat sauce into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce and cheeses.
Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 25 minutes longer or until bubbly and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 12 servings