Cumin Flavored Peas & Carrots
Nothing ordinary about these peas and carrot. The extra spices give it a wonderful flavor and nice kick.
- You'll need a heavy weight sauté pan for this recipe
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin rings
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- Optional: Salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- Water, as needed
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Heat the oil in a wide pan.
When hot, add the cumin seeds. After the seeds sizzle, stir in the chopped onions. Fry until the onions turn translucent. Then, add the ginger, cumin and turmeric powders. Stir.
Mix in the red chili powder, if using. Stir.
Add the carrots and salt to taste. Cook covered for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the green peas and cook covered on medium flame for further 2 minutes. Sprinkle water if the vegetables stick to the bottom of the pan.
Mix in the lime juice and cilantro, if using. Stir.
Remove from the flame and serve hot with bread or rice.
Tip: The red chili powder adds a nice zing to the dish. If using, adjust it to suit your taste
Variation: Fresh parsnips can be substituted for the carrots.
You'll also love
- Artichoke Casserole 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Orange-Date Pumpkin Bread 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Crash Hot Sweet Potatoes 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- New York-Style Cheesecake 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with... 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Roasted Fall Vegetables 4.3/5 (19 Votes)