- 10 ounces good-quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 About 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, powdered sugar, sprinkles, coconut, nuts, cookie or graham cracker crumbs, chopped peppermint candy, or chopped chocolate chips for coating
1. Put chocolate in large microwave dish and heat at medium power, stirring every minute until most of the chocolate is melted.
2. Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan on the stove or in microwave. Remove from heat; pour cream over the chocolate, stirring until the mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny.
3. Stir the butter into the mixture in 4-5 additions; stirring gently until it's again smooth and shiny. Stir in the corn syrup.
4. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with plastic wrap; pour in the mixture. Press plastic wrap against the chocolate and put the pan in the fridge for about 2 hours, or until the mixture is firm.
5. To form the truffles, line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Turn out the mixture onto a cutting board, remove the plastic, and cut the chocolate into small cubes. Put toppings in bowls. One by one, roll the pieces between your palms to make compact balls, then drop them into the coatings to coat. Put the finished truffles on the lined baking sheet.
6. Return the truffles to the fridge so they become firm again. Serve cold.