- RECIPE INGREDIENTS For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (see Ingredient note)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
- 2 cups grated carrots (4-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- For the Frosting:
- 2 tablespoons coconut chips or flaked coconut
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Toast walnuts in a small baking pan in the oven until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in pineapple, carrots and coconut. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until blended. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
To prepare frosting & finish cake: Place coconut in a small baking pan and toast in the oven at 300 degrees F, stirring several times, until light golden, 5 to 10 minutes.
Beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with the coconut.
Get Cooking: http://www.cooking.com/Recipes-and-More/recipes/Easy-Carrot-Cake-recipe-9355.aspx?_rid=1104116.27400.2060615&_mid=1104116&ref=cknwfhne0#ixzz1mChFDnMJ