Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Strawberry rhubarb pie is sweet and tart, a perfect summer dessert. Serve warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Pastry for 9-inch 2-crust pie (your recipe or bought)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from bing.com
Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. Mix sugar, tapioca, and salt. Toss with rhubarb and strawberries. Stir in egg yolk.
Heat oven to 425°F.
Prepare pastry. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate. Pour fruit mixture into bottom pie crust. Cover with top crust that has 3 or 4 slits cut in center. Seal and flute the edges. Cover edge with 3-inch strips of foil to prevent excessive browning Place pie on a cookie sheet with a lip, covered with foil, to keep your oven clean.
Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil around the edge of the crust. Bake until the crust is golden brown, and the juice begins to bubble through slits (about 10- 15 minutes more).
You'll also love
- Macaroni Salad from L&L Hawaiian... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Classic Delicious Artichokes 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon Pickle 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- The Pioneer Woman's Coconut-Lime... 3.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Butternut Squash Tortilla Soup 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Muffins: Cranberry, Oatmeal W. W.... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Mixed Berry Tart 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Rhubarb Jam - using freshTECH Jam... 3.7/5 (17 Votes)