Sweet Potato Coconut Soup with Spicy Relish
- Spicy Relish:
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter Pinch of red pepper flakes 1/2 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small dices
- Salt and pepper 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Sweet Potato-Coconut Soup:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp clover honey
- Large pinch of ground cinnamon
For Relish: Heal oil and butter over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes, heat for 10 seconds. Add diced sweet potato, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, stirring at times until softened about 15 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to high and cook until diced potatoes are golden brown, five to seven minutes. Transfer to bowl and stir in parsley.
For Soup: Heal oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ginger cook until soft, five minutes. Add red flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock and water bring to boil. Add sweet potatoes, bring to simmer, cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
Transfer mixture to blender and blend until smooth. Return to saucepan, simmer over low heat. Whisk in coconuyt milk, honey and cinnamon. Cook until thickened and warmed thru. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls top with a spoonful of spicy relish.