Seared Scallops and Peas with Bacon and Mint
- 2 1/2 cups shelled fresh peas (from 2 pounds peas in the pod)
- 3 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large sea scallops, tough side muscle removed, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Adapted from curtisstone.com
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the peas and cook for about 2 minutes, or just until they are bright green and tender. Drain and transfer the peas to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.
2. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but a thin layer of fat from the skillet.
3. Add the shallots to the skillet and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, or until softened. Add the peas and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes, or until they are heated through. Stir in the bacon and mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm over very low heat.
4. Meanwhile, season the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat another large heavy skillet over high heat until it is very hot. Add the olive oil, then add the scallops and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the underside is golden brown. Turn the scallops and cook for about 2 minutes more, or until the other side is golden brown but the scallops are still translucent when pierced in the center with the tip of a small knife. Transfer the scallops to paper towels to drain briefly.
5. Divide the pea mixture and scallops among four dinner plates and serve.
You'll also love
- Homemade Corn Dogs 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Traditional Louisiana Turducken 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Baked Salmon on Wild Rice and... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- New England Seaport Fisherman's... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Liz's turkey pita sandwich 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Lime Chipotle Pork Medallions 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Crab Cake Eggs Benedict with... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Crab Melt 4.3/5 (7 Votes)