Cannelloni Stuffed with Shrimp and Whiting
- 8 pieces of cannelloni shells
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 lb. cleaned and peeled shrimp
- 1/2 lb. of hake or whiting, poached (see separate poaching instructions)
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 liters of milk
- 1/4 pint of heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- White pepper
- 1 cup of grated cheese
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
1. Prepare the onion and garlic, all finely chopped and place in a saucepan adding a small amount of olive oil and sauté over medium heat.
2. Add in the shrimp and fish and continue to sauté for a few minutes. Place the pan aside.
3. Heat up the milk until boiling and place aside.
4. In another pan, heat the butter with the olive oil and add in flour: Stir well and pour the hot milk in gradually, constantly stirring to avoid lumps.
5. Once this mixture begins to thicken, add the shrimp and fish mixture and let simmer for 10 minutes and season with spices.
6. Pour into a bowl and let it cool in refrigerator for 1 hour.
7. Cook the cannelloni in salted boiling water and a tablespoon of olive oil. Drain and place on clean paper towels.
8. Insert the filling to each cannelloni.
9. In a baking tray, cover the bottom with the cream and add the cannelloni. Place balance of the cream over the cannelloni and sprinkle with grated cheese.
10. Place in the oven at 400ºF for 10 minutes until brown.
11. Serve hot with your choice of seafood sauce on the side.