Oven Roasted Salmon with Parmesan-Mayo Crust
- ◾16-20 ounces salmon fillet(s), skin on
- ◾Kosher salt/ freshly ground black pepper
- ◾3 tablespoons mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- ◾2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ◾additional Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ◾a few dashes of sweet paprika
- Ingredients for Basic Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- ◾2 whole eggs, at room temperature(*See Note below)
- ◾1 to 1 1/4 cup oil (I used 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup almond oil)
- ◾2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ◾1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- ◾1/4 teaspoon salt
- ◾freshly ground black pepper, or pepper blend, to taste (I like Florida Seasoned Pepper…citrusy!)
- Note: For thicker mayonnaise, use 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
Place the eggs in a blender or small food processor. Blend the eggs alone for around a minute, so they will be ready to adsorb the oil. Add lemon juice, dry mustard and salt, and mix in with the eggs. With the blender running, SLOWLY start adding the oil, a few drops at a time, until the liquid begins to thicken up some; then you can start adding the oil in a thin, steady stream. Continue blending until all the oil is incorporated. Season the mayonnaise with salt and pepper, to taste.
**Raw Egg Warning… to reduce the risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness, use only fresh, clean eggs with intact shells, from a trusted source. Avoid contact of egg white/egg yolk with outer shell.
Preheat oven to 425F. Line a shallow roasting pan with foil. Rinse the salmon with cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels, and place in roasting pan. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Mix the mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Spread completely over the salmon. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese on top, and add a few dashes of sweet paprika.
Roast for 12-14 minutes (depending on thickness of salmon). Remove from oven; carefully slide a wide spatula between the skin and meat to separate from the skin, and serve!