- Shepherd's Pie with Vegetables
- Click here to find out more!
- 2 Reviews 2.5
- RATE THIS RECIPE WRITE A REVIEW
- From: Prevention's Low-Fat, Low-Cost Freezer Cookbook
- Some versions of shepherd's pie are topped with fat-saturated biscuits, but this lean and economical casserole calls for a crown of creamy mashed potatoes to slash the fat and cost.
- Serves: Prep: 10min Cook: 1hr 7min Total: 1hr 27min
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound frozen ground lamb, thawed
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen chopped cauliflower
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) reduced-sodium tomatoes, chopped (with juice)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup apple juice
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with nostick spray.
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan. Add cold water to cover by about 1". Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes, or until very tender. Drain and place in a medium bowl. Mash well with a hand masher or an electric mixer. Add the buttermilk and Parmesan. Mix well.
Coat a 10" no-stick skillet with no-stick spray and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add the lamb, onions, carrots, cauliflower, and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the lamb is browned. Add the tomatoes (with juice), peas, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian herb seasoning. Bring to a boil.
Place the cornstarch in a cup. Add the apple juice and stir until smooth. Add to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.