Thick, Thick Crock Pot Chili with Beans
Perfect hearty and thick chili for these cold winter days. The use of sausage and beef really amp up the flavor too.
- 1 Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit
- 1 pound of ground turkey sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 pound of ground chuck, cooked and drained
- 1 medium sized onion, peeled and diced
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can of stewed tomatoes
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 15 ounce cans of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15 ounce cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Adapted from crockpotrecipeexchange.com
In a 5 - 6 quart crock pot add the sausage, ground chuck, onion, crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and the packet of large seasonings from the chili kit.
Cover and cook on low 7 - 9 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours.
The last hour of cooking add the canned beans, just to heat them through.
There will be 3 more packets in the chili kit. Salt, masa and chili powder. Before adding beans taste the chili and see if it needs any more seasoning from the salt or more heat with the additional package of chili powder. Add as needed.
If the chili is to thin for your liking, sprinkle some (or all) of the package of the masa over top of the chili and stir in to incorporate. This will thicken it within a few minutes of adding.
If the chili is too thick for your liking, add additional tomato sauce, chicken or beef stock or even water. I would start with a 1/4 cup at a time until the consistency you desire is reached.
Serve topped with cheese, sour cream, salsa, chopped green onions and tortilla chips.