ATK Salt-Baked Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Butter
Kosher or table salt can be used in this recipe. The salt can be strained to remove solid bits and reused for this recipe. The potatoes can be prepared without the roasted garlic butter and topped with other garnishes such as sour cream, chives, crumbled bacon, and/or shredded cheese.
- 2 1/2 cups salt
- 4 russet potatoes , scrubbed and dried
- 2 sprigs plus 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 whole garlic , outer papery skin removed and top quarter of head cut off and discarded
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Adapted from americastestkitchen.com
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Spread 21/2 cups salt in even layer in 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Gently nestle potatoes in salt, broad side down, leaving space between potatoes. Add rosemary sprigs and garlic, cut side up, to baking dish. Cover baking dish with foil and crimp edges to tightly seal. Bake 11/4 hours; remove pan from oven. Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees.
2. Carefully remove foil from baking dish. Remove garlic and set aside to cool. Brush exposed portion of each potato with 1 teaspoon oil. Return uncovered baking dish to oven and bake until potatoes are tender when pierced with tip of paring knife and skins are glossy, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, once garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze root end until cloves slip out of their skins. Using fork, mash garlic, butter, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt (or pinch table salt) and minced rosemary to smooth paste. Remove any clumped salt from potatoes (holding with kitchen towel if necessary), split lengthwise, top with portion of butter, and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Butter-Basted Halibut Steaks with... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Cilantro Adobo Baked Tilapia 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Cranberry Bread with Cointreau... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin Raisin Cake Recipe 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- SCALLOPED POTATOES - LIGHT HEALTHY... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Garlic Rosemary Monkey Bread 3.9/5 (10 Votes)
- Perfect Double Cream Garlic Mashed... 4/5 (6 Votes)