Yucatan Lime Soup
- 1 Chicken breast half, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 8 Corn tortillas cut into 1inch strips
- 3/4 Cup finely chopped white onions
- 1 Teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 Cup seeded, chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon minced Serrano chilies
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Lime, cut into thin slices, for decoration
- 1 Avocado, seeded and diced, for topping
Preparation time 20mins
Season the chicken with the cumin and ¼ teaspoon salt and set aside.
In a large pot, heat ½ cup of the oil over high heat. Fry the tortilla strips in batches until golden brown on both sides, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
Remove all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the pan. Add the onion, Essence and ¼ teaspoon salt, and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
Add the Chicken, garlic, Tomatoes, & chilies sauté for 3 minutes
Add the stock and lime juice and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Place 1 lime slice in each soup bowl and ladle the soup on top. Top each serving with diced avocado and serve the fried tortilla strips on the side.
Yield: 4 servings Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 tablespoons salt 2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper 1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper 7 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container. Yield: about 2/3 cup