Dilled Veal Ragout with Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 lb boneless stewing veal, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 med onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cups sliced white mushrooms or shiitake caps
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup each, chopped fresh dill and flat parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dry crumbled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 tsp each, flour and soft butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Fresh dill sprigs
Cooking time 95mins
Large heavy bottom saucepan or dutch oven, heat half of oil over med-hi heat. Brown veal, in theree batches, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to a large plate
Drain off any fat.
Melt 2 Tbs butter in same pan. Add onions, garlic, carrots and saute for 5 min. Stir in mushrooms; saute until liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
Return veal and any accumulated liquid to pan. Stir in stock and use it to scrape up any brown bits from bottom. Stir in dill, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.
Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered until veal is tender, about 1 hour
Meanwhile blend together flour and soft butter; stir it into liquid around veal, stirring until liquid thickens evenly
(Make ahead:let cool 30 min in shalllow container. Refrigerate uncovered until cold; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Stir in cream; heat through and season to taste
Garnish with fresh dill