Broccoli Trees with Cheesy Dipping Sauce
- 1 head broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from mealmakeovermoms.com
Steam the broccoli until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside, uncovered.
While the broccoli is steaming, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly until smooth, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, mustard, and garlic powder slowly into the flour mixture. Raise the heat and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer and stir gently until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until it melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with the broccoli.