BUTTERNUT SQUASH BAKE
- 1 1/2 lb butternut squash -- peeled, seeded, cut
- in 1 inch cubes (3 C)
- 2 T olive oil
- 8 oz dried extra wide noodles
- 4 T oleo
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 1 T lemon juicde
- 1 8 oz carton mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C fresh Italian parsley, snipped
- 1 C panko (Japanese style) bread crumbs or soft bread
1. Preheat oven to 425 deg. In bowl toss squash in oil; place in oiled 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan. Roast, uncovered, 30 minutes, until lightly browned and tender, stirring twice.
2. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; set aside. In same Dutch oven melt 2 T oleo. Add shallots;cook and stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, until shallots are tender and oleo just begins to brown. Stir in lemon juice.
3. Add noodles to shallot mixture. stir in marscapone, 1/2 C of Parmesan, 1/2 C parsley, and 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper. Transfer to greased 2 qt. oval gratin dish or baking dish.
4. In small saucepan melt remaining oleo; stir in bread crumbs, remaining Parmesan, and parsley. Sprinkle on noodle mixture. Bake uncovered, 10 minutes, until crumbs are golden.