Roasted Peanut Soup w/ Honey Whipped Cream
- 2 heads of garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 cups sliced onions (about 2 onions)
- 3 cups thinly sliced celery stalks (about 1/2 bunch), leaves reserved
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 quarts low-salt chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Yukon Gold potato (about 8 ounces), peeled, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (or more) honey
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanut oil or 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
•Preheat oven to 450°. Slice off and discard the top third from each head of garlic. Place garlic on a sheet of foil. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. olive oil; wrap foil tightly around garlic. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until soft and caramelized, about 45 minutes. Let garlic cool slightly, then squeeze cloves into a small bowl, pouring in any oil remaining in foil.
•Pulse peanuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer 1/4 cup chopped peanuts to a small bowl, then continue pulsing remaining peanuts until a smooth butter forms, about 2 minutes (there will be about 2/3 cup peanut butter).
•Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add sliced celery, butter, and reserved roasted garlic with oil; cook, stirring frequently, until celery is softened, about 15 minutes. Add chicken broth and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Add potato; simmer until potato is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
•Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Working in batches, carefully purée soup in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute per batch, adding peanut butter to last batch. Pour through prepared strainer. Whisk in 1/4 cup cream. Season to taste with salt.
•Whisk remaining 1/2 cup cream and a pinch of salt in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually whisk in honey and peanut oil; whisk until stiff peaks form.
•Divide soup among bowls. Top with a dollop of honey whipped cream. Sprinkle reserved chopped peanuts and celery leaves over.