Smoked Sausage, Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 med butternut squash, about 3 to 4 pounds, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- 2 tab of olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 12 cups of chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups of chopped onions 1 cup of wild rice
- 3/4 pound of sausage, such as kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch
- 2 cups fresh corn kernals
- 1 1/2 cups half- and half
- 1 tab chopped fresh parsley leaves
Season the squash with 1 tab of the oil, salt and pepper.
Place on a ba king sheet and roast for 45 minutes to one hour until tender..at 400 degree oven.
Remove from the oven a cool completely. In a blender , puree the squash with 2 cups of the chicken stock.
Puree until smooth and set aside.
In a saucepan, over med heat, bring 4 cups of the stock and 1/2 cup of the chopped onions to a simmer. Stir in the rice and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour stirring occasionally with a fork, Remove the rice from the pan and cool. In a large saucepan, over med heat, add the remaining tab of oil.When the oil is hot add the sausage and brown for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of onions and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 6 cups of stock and squash puree. Bring to a boi. Reduce the heat to med-low.. cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off and fat that rises to the surface. Stir in the rice and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the hfeat, stir inthe half and half and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and serve.
You'll also love
- classic green bean casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pan-fried Lobster Dumplings - J... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Walnut Cherry Delight Dessert 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mandarin Pork Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Eggplant Poblano 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Crunch - Aunt Trina's -... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- No-Fuss Beef Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)