Blueberry Whole Wheat Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-fat buttermilk (can replace with non-fat yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries [if using frozen blueberries, toss the unthawed frozen blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour before adding them to the batter helps from turning the batter purple when the muffins bake]
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Preheat oven to 400. Lightly spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
In large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, applesauce, and egg.
Pour buttermilk mixture into dry mixture, stirring until it is just combined (do not overmix). Lightly stir in the blueberries.
Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Bake until tops are golden, 20-25 minutes.
Transfer pan to wire rack to cool slightly. Then transfer muffins to cooling rack. Serve warm.