Black Eyed Peas Fritters
- Oil, for the deep frying
- 4 cups black eyed peas, fully cooked (canned beans will do every bit as well)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped, with green tops included
- A dash of cayenne
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Please note -- If you're making use of canned beans black eyed peas, make sure to drain and always rinse them very well, to eliminate the 'processed' taste.
1. Inside a , deep sided frying pan, heat approximately 1/2-inch of the oil to 350F.
2. Mash the black eyed peas very well in a large mixing bowl. If you'd like, you could process the black eyed peas in a food processor until pretty much smooth.
3. Finely chop the rest of the ingredients, or maybe mince them together right until finely chopped inside the bowl of your food processor, then combine into the mashed black eyed peas. Blend well.
4. Shape the mix in to fritters - I prefer to utilize an ice cream scoop or a disher to ensure even servings of roughly 1/3 cup approximately, yet it isn't going to truly matter.
5. Add fritters cautiously to the hot oil. Fry till golden brown on the first side, and gently and carefully (you don't need to splash the hot oil) flip them all over. Fry again on the other side till fully cooked all through (several minutes) and also evenly golden brown everywhere.
6. Drain the fritters briefly on paper towels. Sprinkle using kosher salt while they are hot, and serve at once together with cilantro mayonnaise.
Cilantro Mayonnaise for Black Eyed Pea Fritters:
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup diced cilantro
* 1 cup grated and drained cucumber
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 2 tbsps . lime juice
* 1/4 tsp sugar
* Freshly cracked pepper
1. To prepare your cucumber, peel it, halve it and also scoop out the seeds. Grate your cucumber, and set within a colander layered with a paper towel or a coffee filter. Dust your cucumber by using a 1/4 tsp of salt, toss to combine, and place in the fridge to strain for about 1/2 hour.
2. In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise, drained cucumber, lime juice and then sugar. Blend well to combine thoroughly. Taste, then modify for salt and pepper.
3. Refrigerate combination for 1/2 hour to allow for flavors to meld, and then serve with black eyed pea fritters.
Yield: 2 cups