Chicken Parmesan (Skinny)
serves 4 (one chicken breast each, 225 calories)
Serve this on a bed of whole grain spaghetti tossed in additional spaghetti sauce
Good on fish too!
- 2 (8 oz) chicken breasts, sliced in half (horizontally, or butterflied but cut all the way through. You will end up with 4 pieces of chicken)
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings (I don't necessarily like a lot of Italian seasoning, so add more if you like it!)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (This does not have to be fresh. In fact a use the stuff in the green bottle more times than not)
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara or your favorite spaghetti sauce
- cooking spray
Preheat oven to 450°. Line large baking sheet with foil (easy clean up) and spray lightly with cooking spray.
Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings in a bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave in another bowl (this is usually melted after about 20 seconds, so watch it closely.) Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb/cheese mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
Lightly spray a little more cooking spray on top (this makes it nice and crispy) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and turn over. Spoon sauce over each piece and top with mozzarella cheese and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.