Strawberry Custard Torte
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed and drained
- Sliced fresh strawberries and mint leaves, optional
Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Place half of the whipped topping in a large bowl; add strawberries. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the strawberry mixture. Top with a second cake layer; spread with custard. Top with a third cake layer; spread with remaining strawberry mixture. Top with remaining cake layer and whipped topping. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired.
Yield: 12 servings.
You'll also love
- new england butter crumb baked cod 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Country chicken with sausage &... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Avgolemono Soup (Frugal Gourmet) 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Broccoli and Parsnip Soup 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Desserts - Weight Watchers Banana... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Apple Cranberry Rhubarb Crisp 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Blueberry Flummery 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sugar-Free Banana Strawberry Sorbet 4/5 (1 Votes)