Chicken - Baked Chicken with Fall Vegetables
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium potato, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried), divided
- 1 Tablespoon fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried), divided
- 1/2 cup low-sodium, low-fat chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken pieces on the bone, rinsed and patted dry, room temperature (for a lower-fat version, remove the skin)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 21mins
step 1 Place baking rack in the upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
step 2 In a large bowl or 1 gallon Ziploc® Brand Storage Bag, combine the onion, potato, sweet potato, parsnips and carrots, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary and 1 1/2 teaspoons sage (if using dried herbs, use 3/4 teaspoon each rosemary and sage). Mix well and place on a foil-lined rimmed sheet pan or shallow roasting pan. Pour the chicken broth over the vegetables.
step 3 In a small bowl, mix together remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1 1/2 teaspoon sage and paprika (if using dried herbs, use 3/4 teaspoon each rosemary and sage). Season chicken parts with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and brush with oil and seasoning mixture from small bowl. Place chicken in pan on top of vegetables.
step 4 Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, baste chicken and vegetables with the pan juices and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked. On a meat thermometer, chicken thighs should be 165 degrees F and breasts should read 170 degrees F. Let chicken and vegetables sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.