Pear and Gruyere Strata
- 4 cups sliced peeled Anjou or Concorde pear
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 12 (1-ounce) slices cinnamon swirl bread (such as Pepperidge Farm), cut in half diagonally
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk $
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 29mins
1. Combine pear, butter, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a large bowl; toss gently.
2. Arrange half of bread in an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon pear mixture evenly over bread; top evenly with cheese. Arrange remaining bread over cheese.
3. Combine the remaining 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, milk, egg substitute, and cinnamon, stirring with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread, pressing down to submerge. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350°.
5. Uncover dish. Sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over bread. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 8 equal pieces; drizzle with syrup.