Slow Cooked Barbequed Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb.) cut-up whole chicken
- 1/2 cup cola soft drink
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Pickled Peppers & Onions
- Simple Slaw
1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over chicken. Place chicken in a single layer in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker.
2. Whisk together cola soft drink and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly pour mixture between chicken pieces (to avoid removing spices from chicken). Place lemon slices in a single layer on top of chicken.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours (or on LOW 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours) or until done.
4. Remove chicken from slow cooker, and let cool slightly (about 10 to 15 minutes). Discard lemons. Skin, bone, and shred chicken. Skim fat from pan juices, and pour over chicken. Serve chicken over sliced Sweet Potato Cornbread. Top with Pickled Peppers & Onions and Simple Slaw.
To make ahead, cool shredded chicken completely. Freeze in an airtight container up to 3 months.