Sage Chicken and Red Potaoes
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 319 min
This hearty stew is similar to the classic French dish “Chicken Bonne Femme,” which translates as “Good Wife’s Chicken.”
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 large uncooked red onion(s), chopped
- 3 rib(s) (medium) uncooked celery, diced
- 2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked skinless boneless chicken drumstick(s), (about 6 1/4 drumsticks)
- 1 pound(s) uncooked red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 pound(s) uncooked baby carrots
- 1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup(s) parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp dried sage, or 1 tablespoons fresh, chopped
- 1/8 tsp lemon zest, 1 strip
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
Put the chicken, potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, salt, and pepper in a 5–6-quart slow cooker; pour the broth mixture over the chicken and vegetables. Cover the slow cooker and cook until chicken and vegetables are fork-tender, 4–5 hours on high or 8–10 hours on low.
Discard the bay leaf. Add the parsley, sage, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the slow cooker; cover and cook on high until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Yields 1 drumstick with 1 cup vegetables and sauce per serving.
****You can substitute tarragon, rosemary, or thyme for the sage, and 1⁄2 cup of wine for 1⁄2 cup of the broth if you like.