Spiced Zucchini Muffins
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded, unpeeled zucchini, 1 large
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each baking powder and baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground nutmeg and mace
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly coat a nonstick muffin tin with vegetable oil or fill cups with paper liners. Mix flour with zucchini, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, mace and salt.
Whisk egg with buttermilk and oil. Pour over flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
Spoon batter into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until tops are golden and firm to the touch. Cool pan on a rack. When cool, individually wrap muffins in plastic wrap. Muffins keep for 2 days at room temperature or up to 2 weeks in the freezer.
Makes 12 muffins.