Chicken Wellington (Puff Pastry-Wrapped Chicken)
- 2 sheets puff pastry (thawed for about 20 minutes)
- 8 small boneless skinless chicken breasts , uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- 1 large onion , finely chopped (can use 2 onions)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1/2 lb fresh button mushroom , sliced (can increase if desired)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese , softened (you may reduce the amount if desired)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 egg , slightly beaten
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 90mins
1 Season the chicken breast with seasoning salt and pepper on all sides.
2 Heat butter and oil in a skillet.
3 Brown the breasts on all sides until almost completely cooked through; transfer to a plate.
4 To the same skillet add in onions, garlic and sliced mushrooms; saute until the mushrooms lose their moisture and the onions are tender.
5 Stir in parsley.
6 On a floured surface, roll out each puff pastry sheet to a 14-inch square.
7 Cut into four even 7-inch squares (you should have 8 squares total).
8 Place each breast over each puff pastry square.
9 Set oven to 375 degrees.
10 In a small bowl combine the softened cream cheese with mustard, then spread over EACH breast.
11 Then top with about 2-3 tablespoons mushroom/onion mixture.
12 Brush the edges of each pastry square with water.
13 Wrap pastry around the chicken breast, pressing edges to seal tightly.
14 Place seam-side down on greased baking sheets.
15 Brush the tops with egg wash.
16 Bake for about 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
17 Serve with mushroom sauce over the Wellington or on the side of the plate.