Eggrolls - Chicken Avocado Egg Roll
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely minced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced bamboo shoots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups 1/2- inch- diced boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 quart canola or rice bran oil, plus more as needed
- 15 egg roll wrappers (3 extra for mistakes)
- 2 Hass avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 12 pieces each
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sweet chili sauce, for dipping
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
In a skillet over high heat, heat the 2 tablespoons canola oil. Cook the onion and bell pepper for 2 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the ginger, garlic, bamboo shoots, celery, and chicken, reduce the heat to medium- high, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the soy sauce, stir well, and set aside to cool. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, and the warm chicken mixture.
In a medium saucepan, heat the 1 quart canola or rice bran oil to 350°F. The oil needs to be deep enough to keep the egg rolls from touching the bottom of the pan; add more oil if needed. Prepare a baking sheet with a cooling rack on top.
To create the egg rolls, lay an egg roll wrapper on your work surface with one corner facing you. Place about 1/3 cup of the mixture on the wrapper and place 2 pieces of avocado on top. Whisk together the egg and milk for the egg wash. Fold the top corner down over the filling, then fold in the two side corners over the filling. Brush some of the egg wash on the top corner. Roll the egg roll upward firmly, taking care not to tear the wrapper. Each egg roll should be 4 to 5 inches long. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Dredge each egg roll in the egg wash, allowing the excess to drip off. Fry the egg rolls, 3 at a time, until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on the cooling rack. Slice the egg rolls on the diagonal. Serve with sweet chili sauce.