- 4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher slat
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegatable oil
- 2 cups beef stock
- one 12 ounce can cola soda
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into 2 inch chuncks
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chucks.
- 2 medium parsnips, peeld and cut into 2 inch chucks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut on the bias into 2 inch chucks
- 3 celery ribs, cut on the bias into 2 in chucks
- 2 & 1/2 tablesppons all purpose flour
Season the roast well on all sides with pepper and 2 teaspoons of the salt. Combine the garlic, rosemary, and remaining 2 teaspons salt on a cutting board and use the side of knife to mash them into a paste. Using a small paring knife, make thin slits on all sides of the roast, about 2 inches apart, and fill the holes with the paste. reapeat until you have use all of the paste.
Heat a Dutch oven over high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the meat and cook until very well brown on all sides. Add the the stock and cola and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits. Add the tomato paste and stir to blend. The liquid should reach about halfway up the sides up the sides of the roast, add a little more stock/water if needed cover the Dutch oven. PLace in oven, and roast for 2 hours, turning the meat after 1 hour and adding extra water if needed to keep the liquid level at about one-third of the way up the sides of the meat. Add vegetables, making sure that they are compltely submerged in the liquid, and continue to cook, covered, until the roast is fork-tender and the vegetables are tender, about 1 & 1/2 hours longer.