Hearty Logger's Chili with Sausage
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 lb. Kielbasa sausage or turkey sausage
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1 c. green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 1 16-oz. can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 16-oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/3 tsp. white pepper
- 1/3 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- sour cream, and/or shredded cheddar cheese
Saute ground beef in a large, heavy skillet, drain and set aside. Cut sausage into 1/2 inch slices then cut each slice in half. In the same pan, saute sausage until lightly browned. Set aside with the ground beef.
In the same pan, saute onions and green pepper in olive oil over medium heat until soft but not brown. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes more.
Add ground beef and sausage back into pan with remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
Serve with a garnish of sour cream and/or grated cheddar cheese, if desired.