Alfredo Sauce - Not A Mix!
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream (or half & half or milk)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheeses (Mozzarella, Romano, etc.)
- 1/2 cup Parmesana Reggiano Cheese (or plain Parmesan)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh or 1-2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1/4 cup sherry or white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter and add flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to cook flour. Add cream and broth all at once and blend well. Add the remaining ingredients and stir unwil cheese has melted and sauce is smooth.
Pour over pasta, chicken, or shrimp.
Additional cheese can be added to the topping, if desired. Bake in oven until cheese is golden brown.