Chai Tea Rice Pudding
- 31 ⁄2 cups unsweetened soymilk or low-fat milk, divided 4 black chai tea bags
- 1 cup short- or medium-grain white rice
- 1 ⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 ⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 medium-size apple, peeled, cored, and diced 1⁄4 cup dark raisins
- Whipped cream for garnish, optional Cinnamon for garnish, optional
30 minutes or fewer
1. Bring 2 cups water and 1 cup soymilk to a boil in large saucepan. Remove from heat, and add tea bags. Cover, and steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags, squeezing out any liquid.
2. Stir rice, brown sugar, and salt into tea mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Add remaining 21⁄2 cups soymilk, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, or until rice is soft. Stir in apple and raisins; remove from heat. Cover pot, and let sit 10 minutes.
3. Spoon pudding into 2-qt. heat-proof dish. Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream and cinnamon, if desired.