Espresso Thumbprint Cookies
Chocolate cookies topped with espresso filling make a delicious dessert - perfect to serve a bunch.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Crushed hard peppermint candies, if desired
- Espresso Filling
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee granules
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur, if desired
Preparation time 1mins
Cooking time 8mins
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat sugar, butter, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon, until well blended. Stir in flour, cocoa and salt until dough forms.
2. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into 1-inch balls. On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls about 2 inches apart. Press thumb or end of wooden spoon into center of each cookie, but do not press all the way to cookie sheet.
3. Bake 7 to 11 minutes or until edges are firm. If necessary, quickly remake indentations with end of wooden spoon. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, mix whipping cream and instant coffee. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until steaming and coffee is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips until melted. Stir in liqueur. Cool about 10 minutes or until thickened.
5. Spoon rounded 1/2 teaspoon espresso filling into indentation in each cookie. Top with crushed candies.