- 8 chicken legs, thighs attached
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 bottle teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 6 scallions, white and green parts sliced on the bias, but kept separate
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
In a large bowl, dust the chicken legs with cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Heat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat with about 1 tablespoon EVOO and brown the chicken legs.
In a slow cooker, add the browned chicken legs along with the teriyaki sauce, ginger, garlic, honey and white parts of the scallions. Put the lid on and cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours. When the chicken is about 20 minutes away from being done, add the rice, water, 2 tablespoons EVOO and salt to a medium size pot with a lid.
Bring the pot of rice up to a boil, then drop it down to a simmer. Put the lid on and simmer for 10-15 minutes. When the rice is done, fluff with a fork and fold in the green parts of the scallions and sesame seeds. Just before serving, combine the bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper and about 1 tablespoon EVOO in a bowl.
To serve, scoop a portion of scallion-sesame rice into the bottom of a shallow bowl and top with two chicken legs drizzled with a bit of the teriyaki sauce. Garnish with the fresh and crunchy pepper, cucumber and carrot mixture.