Italian Almond Cake
Simple but not plain, Italian almond cake is an attractive alternative to pound cake. That is, when you achieve a rich, nutty flavor and the texture isn't too dense and heavy.
- 14 ounces blanced, slivered almonds (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups of sugar
- Pinch of table salt
- 3/4 Cup (3 ounces) cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 8 tbsp 1 stick, unslated butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
1. Adjust overn reack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. S[ray 9-inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray, then line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
2. Spread almonds on rimmed baking sheet toast in oven until very lightly browned and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes (do not overtoast); let cool completely. Process almonds, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in food processor until very finely ground with texture that resembles flour, about 10 seconds. Add flour and baking powder and pulse to incorporate, about 5 1-second pulses; set aside.
3. In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating briefly after each addition to incorporate. Add ground almond mixture and beat until just incorporated. Add milk and beat until just incorporated.
4. Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top. bake until cake is puffed and golden and toothpick inserted at center comes out clean., 30 to 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking time.
5. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove sides of pan and cool for about 1 hour before serving.