Vegetarian Juicy Lucy
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 1 small (or enough to make up 1 small) potato -- we used purple fingerlings, kept the skins on
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- 2 squares of cheese -- your choice -- the place in the center of patties
- Two buns (or we used mini sourdough rounds)
- 1 large avocado
- Grainy mustard
- Sweet potato fries
- Sliced cheese (Stephen used Swiss and I used some hot sauce specialty kind. Whatever you love will work.)
Blend the tofu and potatoes together in a food processor and blender until well combined. It may be easier to first chop up the potatoes so they blend more easily (we used fingerling ones, so it wasn’t an issue).
Transfer the mix to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
Form into 4 large patties (or however many depending on what you plan to do with the mix). Put on a sheet covered with wax paper so it doesn’t stick.
Put the cheese on one patty . . . and then cover with another patty and press the edges together to encase the cheese inside. Repeat with the other two.
In a frying pan (greased with olive oil) over medium-high heat, fry the burgers until golden brown. We also covered ours at points so we’d be sure the cheese would melt.
Assemble your burger