Risotto - with casserole option
Risotto makes a solid starch base where several items can be added to make a "casserole"-type dish.
My favorite is adding diced shrimp, small scallops, peppers, leek and minced garlic to base risotto recipe.
- For casserole:
- 2 TB olive Oil
- 2 cups Arborio rice (1/2 cup per serving)
- 6 cups vegitable broth (or chichen broth)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium leek (or small scallion)
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, diced
- 1/2 pound baby scallops
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. Bring broth (vegetable or chicken) to a boil in a separate pot. Reduce to a simmer and set aside.
2. In a heavy bottom skillet, heat 2 TB olive oil over medium-high heat. Add arborio rice and mix until evenly coated in oil. Continue to cook until rice start to toast (turn brown).
3. Add 1 - 2 cups of broth, allowing the rice to absorb the broth. Stir constantly. Continue to add 1 - 2 cups of broth to the rice once liquid is fairly well aborbed (don't allow all liquid to complete cook off). Continue until all broth has been added.
Note: Adjust heat as necessary to keep a slow rolling boil but not too high to fry the rice.
4. Add grated parmesean and romero cheese to rice and serve.
For casserole (prior to starting rissotto):
1. Dice the shrimp, leek/scallion, chili and red peppers.
2. Saute diced shrimp and scallops in 2 TB olive oil. Once seafood starts to turn color, add all vegetables, minced garlic and black pepper.
3. Continue to cook until seafood turn opaque in color.
4. Stir into risotto.