- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) Pinto Beans, drained, liquid reserved, 1 can left whole, 1 can fork smashed
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp each; coarsely ground pepper and garlic powder
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs prepared cocktail sauce
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 6 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Mix beans, bread crumbs, eggs, pepper and garlic in a medium bowl, adding enough bean liquid for mixture to hold together without being wet.
Divide into 6 equal portions and flatten into 4-inch patties. Mix mayonnaise and cocktail sauce; set aside.
Warm buns in a 300 degree oven about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile heat oil in a large 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook, turning only once, until a crisp brown crust forms on both sides, 6-8 minutes total.
Top burgers with cheese slices, cover skillet, turn heat to low and let burgers cook until cheese melts.
Spread cut side of each roll with sauce, Set burger on bun bottom, top with sauerkraut